Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Spiny Little Friend



I woke up at three oclock this morning and found some strange little creature at my puppy's water dish. I poked at it with a broom and it rolled up into a ball and didn't even try to get away. I then poured water on it and it scurried off. The dog was going crazy wanting to chase it and I didn't let him. Then I attacked the internet to find out what it was. We don't have anything like this in Arizona so I feel like a child discovering all of these new and wonderful things!
The hedgehog is an insectivore and eats lots of beetles and caterpillars; they particularly like, earthworms and slugs. Hedgehogs have a varied diet and will also eat small mammals, snails, millipedes, earwigs and even bees. I understand they are really wonderful to have in the garden. This helpful information is complements of the National Geographic web site on the Hedgehog http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/hedgehog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment