Monday, July 13, 2009

Conversion Crazy

I've forgotten everything that I learned in elementry school about the metric system and wish I hadn't. My mind is working overtime trying to convert everything from the weather, cooking measurements , distance, speed, and don't forget money (well not exactly metric...but you get my drift). Today's tip for traveling or moving to Prague would be to make sure you bring a measuring cup/spoons with both US measurement and metric. Here's a link I used when trying to set the oven for cooking and converting my recipes http://www.allfavoriterecipe.com/RecipeCookingMeasurementConversionChart.aspx
And speaking of weather, I took a glimps of what the weather in my home town is and see that it is 46 C (115 F) and it made me feel guilty about complaining of the heat on the tram today when the temperature here was 25 C (77 F). I suspect the winters in Prague should be revenge enough. Here is a link that you can get the weather in Fahrenheit or Celcius with the click of a button. Look for the icon under the weather picture labled "C/F" http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/55
Oh, and don't forget the feet to meters thing. We are trying to find a suitable place to live and really struggle with square meters to square feet...oh and the I wish I'd measured my furniture and brought my measuring tape with me so when we are looking at houses I could know for sure if my bedroom set and livingroom furniture will fit into the smaller rooms. I love the smaller living quaters (less to clean) but have American furniture which seem colosil by European standards. So, measure before you move!
Shopping is interesting trying to figure out if you are getting a good deal or paying too much. My point of reference is totally blown, but have figured out a quick way to convert US dollars to CZ crowns (kc). At present the US dollar is about 20:1 which makes things easier. Here is an example where I should have shopped around before I bought, but got too emotional instead of calculating the value of what I was buying to the price. Some Nike flip-flops were 690 kc. First divide the total amount by two (about 450) and then drop the zero. I payed about $45 for a pair of flip-flops! Probably too much...but they are Nike :)
Well, happy shopping!

3 comments:

  1. You paid $45 for a pair of Nike flip-flops? Holy crap!!! For that price they'd better masasge my feet and last at least 10 yrs. LOL. I loved the way spelled this: Ferrinheit. Do you have your old supe on the brain? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Celise...how I miss having my "voice-activated dictionary" sitting next to me. That darn spell check didn't catch this? Okay I'll try and redeem myself here. How about this spelling; Fahrenheit? I wonder how they spell that in Czech (tee hee).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having fun with the transition. I hope those nike flip flops have some bling on them. On the bright side, if you have smaller living area's (rooms) and big furniture, then you will have even less to clean. LOL.

    Really miss you. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete