Sunday, July 19, 2009

Firsts



Today I had three "firsts". First time to the top of Powder Tower (Prasna Brana) that was built in 1475 under the reign of King Vladislav II Jagiello intended to contribute to the beauty of the Royal Court (King's residence). In the 17th century it was used to store gunpowder; hence the name "Powder Tower". A family of four can get in for $200 czk or around $11.00. It's an pretty nice view of the city but not much more. If you have vertigo or are claustrophobic then you will want to pass on this one. I rather enjoyed the break from walking around the Old Town. I give it a 5 out of 10.

The second thing was going to the Bohemia Bagel. Definately worth the trip for the super-sized hamburger (200 grams or just over quarter pound)with the works. They come with french fries - more than one person can eat - and small bit of coleslaw that was a bit strange for my taste for 135 czk or about $7.35. Come hungry. As my friend Barrie would say, it's a good place for some good ol' comfort food.

My most interesting experience today was catching a pickpocket on the metro with his hand in my bag. I grabbed his hand, squeezed his fingers and threw his hand out...his response was nothing more than a defiant snicker and moved on to the women next to him. Lesson here is to keep your purse zipped shut and under your arm pit the entire time on the metro and trams. NEVER put your bag down or across your chair or you and it will soon part :(

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Wow. A pickpocket. Caught redhanded. Do you feel like you're in New York?

    ReplyDelete