Saturday, July 11, 2009

Where Have All the Children Gone?


Here is a curious thougtht...where have all the children gone in Prague? Walking around the past two weeks, I've noticed that there are almost no children over the age of 5. Well, as it turns out, it is a Czech social norm for families to go to their summer homes for the duration of the summer! If they don't have a summer home, then they send their children to summer camps away from the city. They are really big on outdoor activities. Too bad my kids are the only ones to be found in a 30 mile radius (or so it seems). Parents start signing their kids up in the fall because the programs fill up fast. Thank goodness my husband planned for us to go visit his family on the Croatian coast for two weeks or I think I would lose my mind trying to entertain two 8 and 10 year old boys! Well, next summer I will know better.

I did manage to befriend another English speaking family with an 11 year old girl. I've arranged for us to see Ice Age in English located in Praha 1 not too far from our flat. Here is a link to find a movie theatre (AKA "Cinema") http://www.expats.cz/prague/directory/cinemas/0///

2 comments:

  1. Peggy,
    I am Excited to see a place for information
    nessesary to unfamiliar families.
    A Great resourse you have created.
    I think it is a Wonderful thing families in Prague are concerned more to family time.
    Very Excited to see you are Well and Flourishing!
    Love Always,
    Pamela { South Dakota Sister!!! }

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking something sci-fi-ish was going on when you were talking about the missing children. How long are they gone?

    ReplyDelete